Protection suite is comprehensive enterprise solution packaged essential components required to operate a robust power system. It includes, a sophisticated manufacturer independent protection equipment modeling framework, life-cycle log and tracing mechanism for the protection template and settings, industry standard settings calculation support integrated with analysis tools.
A web based protection management suite provides the solution to overcome few of the major difficulties in the conventional protection settings management life cycle.
- Facility to store all types of relay settings irrespective of the manufacturer : . The data capture and rendering is configurable so that the terminology that appears on the user interface screen is similar to the manufacturer settings data. Even the future relays can also be modeled.
- Capture the life cycle of protection settings and template.
- Interface with Relay Setting Calculation engine.
- Store the documents related to the relay- The relay catalogues, the setting files, disturbance reports and all the documents pertaining to a protective device can be stored.
- Import and Export data through excel and xml files.
- Remotely accessible : Web based access from various geographically distributed location.
- Role based access control : Enables view, edit, add user rights. Restricts user access and prevent unauthorized modification of data. Also the modification log is maintained to keep track of the template or settings modification.
Relay Setting calculation engine is a industrial standard software to compute the relay settings for the over current, distance, unit protection relays (transformer differential, bus bar differential, line pilot, cable differential, restricted earth fault relay etc…).
Here the complete power system network is considered for arriving at co-ordinated settings for the graded relays. There is an interface between this engine and protection database management for exchange of necessary settings. This also includes other supporting analysis modules like load flow analysis, short circuit study, relay co-ordination, transient stability, electromagnetic transient analysis etc…
Protection suite addresses some of the typical issues faced by the protection system community which is managing various different types of relays. Due to the increase in functionality of the relays and also huge settings data, it is very difficult to maintain the settings in conventional ways (hard copy, files etc…).
And also the old ways of storing the data lacks in tracking the change history of the settings and templates, also the settings has to be done and then updated in the files. With this approach the linking of the protection calculation, storing of different relay manufacturer templates and relay setting, tracking of the changes (template and setting life cycle management) can be achieved.
The utility or the industry with this kind of Protection management system can have the following advantages :
- Accountability of settings (track changes, ownership of the process).
- Save time (in accessing the relevant data).
- Central repository of protection settings.
- Ensures responsibility and ownership of changes done in the relay setting parameters among the process owners.
- Assists the Protection engineer to conduct the required studies to arrive at adequate settings and verify the settings through simulation.
- Enables complete tracking of the relay settings changes.
- Supports the planning engineers in planning the protection system to better adapt to a system-wide disturbance.
- Facilitates the protection engineer to access the details of all the equipment in the network, and in conducting periodic fault studies followed by relay setting, verification and co-ordination studies.
- Provides the scope for addressing any instability in a hierarchical manner.
- Customized reports and MIS can be generated as per the requirement.
- Facilitates for Post- mortem analysis of faults.
- Regional Power Committee’s in India like Eastern, Western, Southern, northern and NER.
- Transmission and Utility companies in India and abroad.
- Central govt. utilities.
- State owned power generation companies in India and Abroad.
- Major Generating companies.